Friday, June 11, 2010

A "Greatest Hits" Album That's Missing A Few of the Greats...

I recently picked up Melissa Etheridge's Greatest Hits: The Road Less Traveled album, and I must say, in some ways it definitely lives up to it's name, and in others, remarkably it doesn't.

By no means are these songs actually her greatest hits:  this is by far more of a showcase of a few mega-hits along with her post-cancer power songs.  But to include the song "Lucky" from her album of the same name is absurd: that album was her lowest selling album to date.  And while I do appreciate an artist releasing new material on a greatest hits album, I AM BUYING IT FOR THE GREATEST HITS!  Just being honest...

The opening track is a wonderful cover of "Refugee" by Tom Petty, and Etheridge's raspy voice is a perfect fit for the rock song.  We are then ushered back to the beginning with a few early tracks from Melissa's first album.  I have heard her perform "Like The Way I Do" many times, but still, listening to the original version and it's haunting sound is the best way to go.  One thing I've always admired about Melissa is that her songs are real, from the gut.  I have no doubt that these songs were written out of personal experience, which makes songs like "You Can Sleep While I Drive" all the more beautiful and sad at the same time.

The album then thrusts right into early 90s powerhouse Etheridge with her biggest commercial hit, "Come To My Window."  Although, in Melissa's own words, this is the most misunderstood song she has written and is not actually a love song at all, the tune is still as catch as ever.  The 90s were Melissa's best-selling decade, so I was shocked to find that there were only three songs from that entire decade on the album.  The last half is filled with tracks from her albums Breakdown and Lucky, then four unreleased tracks finish up the set.  It made me sad that several of my favorite Etheridge rock songs were nowhere to be found; including a few released just two years before her this album.  The unreleased tracks are powerful, including her breast cancer survivor anthem "I Run For Life," which I immediately uploaded to my computer and intend to play at every Relay For Life my DJ company is involved in.  But it doesn't change the fact that there are several key songs missing from this release.

All in all this is a great taste of Melissa over the years, and I highly suggest picking up a copy.  Then I more highly suggest going back and finding copies of her albums to find the favorites that weren't included, but that you will love and be singing in the car for years to come.

You can pick up this great album from Amazon.com below:

No comments:

Post a Comment